Thursday, February 02, 2006

shyness manifests itself at exactly the wrong time.

Today for the first 45 minutes of my philosophy of religion class I had this obnoxious little thought/objection bouncing around in my head. Normally I am unafraid to speak up in class, but today was one of those days where everyone felt like they had much (irrelevance!!) to share with the class. And each received a gracious thank you for his insight consisting of dramatic sighs and eye rolls from his peers, and surprisingly biting rebuttals from the professor. So I decided today was the day to keep my mouth shut...and join the eye rollers. Then in the last five minutes of class, our professor brought up a point that had not been made, my point, and expressed disdainfully how he wished someone had mentioned it.
Today was wholly that kind of day.

But I did swallow an earlier remark made to him about something getting too 'girlfriendy', and did it anyway. At least I have that to be proud of.

1 comment:

evanmcb said...

man, at least your professor rejects them. also, last semester, this french student showed up a couple days after the semester had begun, and i was talking to her after class and asking her how she was doing, what she thought of things, etc., and she said, a little haltingly, that she was frustrated with and didn't understand why students in america talked over their professors so much. "yeah, we kind of bank on class discussion. it is pretty retarded."

educationally retarded, that is.

and what? the second comment? what's that about?